Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 5: Bite-sized progress

I'm dedicating this day to a girl I've now met a couple of times in a landfill scavenger's colony in Hyderabad, India. It's a colony very near our slum outreach center, "The Children's Hope Center." She's one of the ones we have not yet been able to reach. She does not go to school because her parents cannot afford the bare basics of what she would need to enroll, and plus, they feel they need the extra few rupees she brings in from her work looking for valuables in the trash. Here's a shot I took of her back in May.


If we're successful with this fundraiser, providing 20 more scholarships for children like her might just open the door of opportunity wide enough for our effort to reach her colony, too. There's also a ripple effect we can each create as we not only chip in what we can toward the immediate goals of this campaign, but also in reaching others with the awareness that they too can make a difference!

And the result is wonderful. It's really about hope--a girl like her, with new shoes, hygiene items to keep clean, a new backpack strapped to her back full of school supplies--an almost tangible hope as she then thinks, "Wow, I can do this, I really have a chance to succeed in life!"

A scene from our Children's Hope Center near her colony reveals just that look of confidence I'm speaking of...


Another piece of great news today! We received a donation of $50 toward our goal! We're making "bite-sized" progress, which is great! Now we just lack $400 until scholarship #1 will be funded! Please follow this link to donate whatever you can afford toward the goal! Any amount, even $1 or $5 can make a difference, when we come together!

Your gift, no matter how small, will equip a girl like her with a piece of the puzzle we must put together in order for her to have a chance!

Today marks the completion of 15 of my 90 meals, and although I get a little weak before meal times, I'm feeling pretty strong overall! Thank you for all of your support! Here's what I put together with just $1 worth of food today...

Breakfast. Nothing too special here--breakfast is a meal you've got to throw together sometimes, just to get the day going. Standard 1/3 cup of oatmeal with a few raisins and some seasoning. Breakfast taco with pinto beans, brown rice, one scrambled egg, topped with an ounce or so of chopped raw carrots. The key to surviving this challenge is trying to keep the textures mixed up just enough to trick your brain into thinking it's getting more variety than it actually is. Or at least, that's my little theory. ▼


Lunch. Soup really is good food, as the Campbell's Soup ad campaign claims. Here's another hearty ramen stew I came up with. 1/3 brick of ramen, 1/3 cup of elbow macaroni, plus a little cabbage, carrots, brown rice, and potato. Seasoned with the a "spicy" variety of the ramen noodle pack (highly recommended to go with the spicy versions--not too spicy, just right for added zest) and some Season-All, and wow, this really was a winner. My estimation is this cost around 30-35 cents. ▼


Dinner. Another tostada variation. These are really my favorite defaults when feeling a little uninspired on the recipe brainstorm front. Re-fried beans, brown rice on baked corn tortillas, plus steamed cabbage as a topping! Seasoned with Season-All and black pepper, this was a satisfying, yet simple meal. Just pick it up by hand and eat like a taco! It works! ▼


Thank you for reading this far! I'm really grateful for your interest and support of my goals here.  

Please, please take action on one or all of the points below! Every effort counts!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps! Currently at $100 of my $10,000 goal! And just $400 to go until we reach step one--funding the first scholarship!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment