Friday, August 23, 2013

Day 26: Surplus!

Today I'm taking a break from "heavy" blogging due to yesterday's intense post. Great news is that I went way conservative on my first 25 days' rations, and now I find myself with a bit of a surplus for the remainder of the challenge. This comes at a great time in the "race" as this is when it starts getting really monotonous.

In other good news, we received a very generous $25 donation and this brings us up to our 16th scholarship now funded! Wow! This makes it all worth it and I'm so grateful for all of your support in whatever way you've offered it. Whether it be through your encouragement, sharing my posts, spreading the word about this blog, using the amazon link or actually giving toward the goal, I'm thankful for your support!

So here's what I was able to come up with using just $1 worth of ingredients for today's 3 meals...

Breakfast. Nothing super-fancy here, just a breakfast taco with my typical re-fried rice-n-beans mix plus a fried egg on a corn tortilla. When you're hungry, wow, this really hits the spot, and plenty of protein to get you pretty close to lunch. ▼


Lunch. I know, it's redundant, right? But when you don't have a lot of time and you're really hungry, you make what you like and what you know works. I just love this Korean bibimbap dish. It's so easy and it's so tasty. Half a brick of Ramen noodles, brown rice, carrots, cabbage all stir fried, with a fried egg on top. The runny yolk creates a sort of sauce and it's really quite satisfying. All for about 30 cents! ▼


Dinner. Depending on what your definition is, these are either chimichangas or taquitos. Whatever you want to call them, these hit the spot after a long wait since lunch. My usual recipe on this works quite well, and easy to make. Just google chimichanga recipe and you'll find plenty of options on this. My version is a simple re-fried bean-n-rice mix with raw carrots for the filling inside the corn tortillas, topped with pasta sauce after baking for 8 minutes at 500F/260C. ▼


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment