Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 18: Slow and steady wins the race

Day 18 was definitely a turn-around day, feeling I've reached my pace with the lower caloric intake and adjusting well. Also found some variety today that made things more bearable. Thanks for all of your support! Trying not to think too much about the challenge overall, just taking it one meal at a time. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Great news! We received a $50 donation today and that brings us crazy-close to reaching our 14th scholarship! Just $5 away! Follow this link to give toward my goal of funding 20 scholarships for children of the slums. Your gift, no matter how small, will help children get on a solid track of education and nutrition, keeping them safely away from child labor and trafficking!

Here's a photo taken just a few days ago by staff at our "Children's Hope Center" in Hyderabad, India. Thanks to concerned individuals like yourself stepping up to take action on their behalf, they now have hope! They have hope, empowered by an education, proper nutrition, shoes on their feet and hygiene supplies--the basics of dignity, health and opportunity!



Here's what I was able to come up with to get me through day 18 on just $1 worth of food...

Breakfast. This was a veritable feast in my little world of 33 cent meals! I re-used my basic rendition of hash browns from my last challenge, but had never thought to put pasta sauce on top. Along with some fresh pinto beans I cooked overnight with brown rice and a fried egg for a breakfast taco, this was a simple but tasty meal. ▼


Lunch. Nothing fancy here, but this works well when in a hurry. Stir fried rice with pasta noodles, cabbage and carrots. Seasoned with seasoned salt and a dash or two of vinegar. ▼


Dinner. Not sure what to call this. Some kind of stir-fried beans & rice with tortilla strips and one scrambled egg. Maybe "Southwestern Bean Stir Fry"? Threw in a couple tablespoons of pasta sauce for a different flavor. Sure, it may not look like a work of culinary artistry, but this did the job, and definitely added much-needed variety in texture and flavor. ▼


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment