Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 10: Hope for the victims

I'm dedicating day 10 of my challenge to the kids of this slum colony in Manila, Philippines. It's the Payatas Landfill Colony. Most who live here work at the edge of the landfill sifting through the trash seeking redeemable materials. It's not really so much a landfill as it is a huge smoking mountain of trash. The fact that its official name is the "Payatas Sanitary Landfill" is quite ironic. As you can see from the photos below, it's anything but sanitary.

Kids of all ages can be found working here, rummaging through the trash, collecting whatever recyclable or redeemable materials they can find, sorting it into different bags. During my visits here, I've been shocked to see how many of the kids have open sores and skin rashes. The air and water quality conditions are unfathomably deplorable. Here's a shot I took during my visit just 3 months ago.


Here's another shot I captured in the same colony, revealing a common scene of kids playing in an open sewage drain. Already victims of child labor, they're also at extreme risk of human trafficking—an estimated 60k to 100k children in the Philippines (mostly in Manila, population 20 million) are involved in prostitution rings run by organized crime.


These scenes are heartbreaking, but the good news is, there's hope, and you can do something about it. Through the development of a sustainable model that empowers a native-led farmland in the Philippines, funds are being multiplied to help these kids break out of the cycle of extreme poverty. Through education and nutrition, kids are getting out of the trash heap and into school. Here's a scene I shot at our "Children's Hope Center" in the same colony! Here kids are getting access to educational supplies that help them enroll in school, computer classes and nutritious meals.


My goal with this 30 day challenge is not just to bring awareness of extreme poverty and child labor, but to help you see that together, we can do something about it. Thus I'm encouraging everyone visiting this blog to chip in whatever they can afford to help me fund 20 scholarships for children who are living in these conditions—to give them hope, that someone cares, and that they can actually go to school, eat fresh, nutritious meals and make plans for a future outside the colony. Please give whatever you can afford, just visit this page to learn more and donate today!

I'm super happy with our total of $1,605 raised to date! This means 3 children's lives will be forever impacted through the opportunity their scholarships will afford them! Just $395 more until we reach one more scholarship!

Today I'm definitely feeling the hunger and cravings starting to kick in. But overall, I cannot complain, knowing how much less of a challenge I'm facing than they face every day. Here's what I came up with for day 10...

Breakfast. Just a simple breakfast taco on a corn tortilla, with pinto beans, brown rice and I took the time to add boiled potatoes for variety this morning. ▼


Lunch. Another vegetable soup creation, this time with pasta noodles, cabbage, brown rice, pinto beans, seasonings and some extra carrots saved from yesterday's unused ration. ▼


Dinner. Went with the baked goodness of re-fried bean, rice and carrot taquitos again. Topped with pasta sauce and seasonings, this hit the spot, all things considered. ▼


I really appreciate your support! Although no donations came through today, I know it will pick back up! I just appreciate your use of the Amazon link below, and all you're doing to spread the word, not to mention just reading this far! Thank you!

Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!>

No comments:

Post a Comment