Monday, August 26, 2013

Day 29: It's different for children

Well, here I am on the eve of the ending day. At this point my body has kind of set into a rhythm of just knowing this is the new normal. I had a lunch meeting with some friends who will be meeting me in Nepal next month, and they were feasting on what I'm sure was great food. It did not even phase me. I say this not to brag about how strong I am to overlook their delicious food. Rather, I bring it up as a point of human psychology, that after a while you just resign to the reality of your situation, and you learn to block out certain sensory triggers completely.

I wonder about those who go on in this kind of "challenge" indefinitely as a way of life. For the adults living in extreme poverty, I can see where they could be strong and endure through the hardships and the hunger in the interest of survival and sacrificing for their children. However, what I cannot fathom, is how the children endure it. Their challenge in these conditions is infinitely more difficult.

So I'd like to dedicate day 29 to these children I've met and photographed in the slums. All of their emotions, from smiles to sorrow, inspire me... and I know you would say the same as well.

Kathmandu, Nepal:


Manila, Philippines:


Kampala, Uganda:


Hyderabad, India:


I have some good news for you today! We've raised another $330 toward my goal of 20 scholarships for these children of the slums. This puts us just $80 short of our 17th scholarship funded! And just $1,580 short of my bigger goal of $10,000 for 20 scholarships. I'm overwhelmed by the support and very grateful for all of you who have helped in whatever way you can. Please follow this link to learn more, and consider helping me reach my goal, with just one day remaining!

I also invite you to follow this link, to view photos of HOPE on the smiles of the women and children who benefit from our programs.

Here's what I was able to put together with just $1 worth of food for today... 

Breakfast. I was ready to get the day rolling so I didn't have much time for anything elaborate. A quick re-fried beans and brown rice combo on the corn tortilla, topped with an over-easy egg, made for a great little breakfast taco. No apologies, I love eggs. ▼


Lunch. More of the bonus of being over-conservative in my rationing earlier in the challenge, I had an entire brick of ramen noodles to add to this egg fried rice deliciousness. Everything tastes better when you're hungry, and you learn to appreciate every morsel. ▼


Dinner. Another variation of the Baked Hasselback Potato. I used my extra potato rations to enjoy a my second full potato. This time I simply shredded a half-carrot and garnished the top of the potato at 20 minutes remaining on the bake at 425F/220C. Simple and delicious, it really did the job for dinner. ▼


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment