Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 19: The benefits

There is something very physically cleansing about doing this challenge. Little ailments and things that usually bother me faded away after the first two weeks. There must be so many things we are putting into our bodies from processed foods and preservatives, unaware. Although hungry, I feel "cleaner" and more focused, if that makes any sense. I think the steady dose of fiber from the beans, oatmeal and brown rice definitely helps. And another side benefit—I'm losing some unneeded pounds, which is probably helping with the sensation of feeling "cleaner" and "clearer" minded.

For anyone out there looking for a challenge to cleanse and shed a few pounds, the blueprint I've established with this 30 day "route" might be somewhere to start. You might adapt to offer a bit more variety, but the premise of buying a set amount of healthful foods to last you X number of days, and then figuring out how to live from that alone, is a good way to set boundaries and follow a plan. The bonus to me is, the plan must be improvised and draw heavily from your own creativity, thus exercising not only self-discipline but also stretching your resourcefulness. You'll feel quite surprised by what you come up with as you push yourself to persevere and adapt!

Another positive outcome of doing the 30 day challenge is the huge reminder it brings, of what I take for granted. A significant part of my focus here is to empathize with those wrestling with extreme poverty every day of their lives, these who have no day 31. Many of them are praying that they could someday have an electric stove like mine (or electricity at all), running water, or just a roof over their heads that does not leak when the rains come. They're praying for their kids to be able to attend school, for an indoors job that takes them out of the heat... just basic things you and I take for granted.


Here's what I was blessed with today, using an extravagant $1 worth of food...

Breakfast. "Hash browns" breakfast taco with beans underneath the fried egg. Really satisfying! Just wish there was enough to make one more! ▼


Lunch. My own version of Korean Bibimbap (비빔밥), one of my favorite dishes ever. ▼


Dinner. This was a real unexpected blessing tonight! Had a bit of an inspiration! The usual tostada recipe with re-fried beans, but a twist: lightly pan-fried potatoes, carrots and brown rice, with a bit of pasta sauce! A wonderful treat! For about 35 cents! ▼


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment