Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 24: We can make a difference!

I'm dedicating day 24 to this girl I met in the Secunderabad landfill scavenger's colony of the Hyderabad, India metro area. It's India's 4th most populous city, and one of the fastest growing the world. The rapid urbanization has left the city overwhelmed with slum settlements popping up anywhere available land permits, usually near trash dumps, train tracks and other hazardous locations.

She helps her parents sift through garbage looking for redeemable materials. On this visit, I found them separating soles of shoes and sandals from the rotted fabric parts and preparing them for sale to a recycler.


She is one of the children we've not yet been able to reach, but would like to. In fact, the parents of the children in this colony are asking us to help. They've heard about our Children's Hope Center and want their sons and daughters to be able to go there, to get an education and nutritious meals. Profits from our farmland help subsidize our budget for this outreach, but it's not enough. That's where you and your friends come in.


Could you help me toward my goal of keeping that smile on her face every day? We've got a lot of work to do, and there's not any easy way to fix all the problems. But we can make a difference for her.

Great news! Yesterday someone gave a $25 donation, and that brings us just $205 shy of our 16th scholarship funded just from readers of this blog! Follow this link to learn more about what a scholarship does, and to chip in whatever amount you can afford. I strongly believe, that one day soon, because of your choice to take action, I'll be posting a follow up story of how her life was forever changed into a life full of hope and promise.

I'm faring ok with the challenge so far. There have been difficult days for sure, and hunger is there, but with your encouragement and knowing that so much awareness and funds are being raised, I'm doing fine and it's all worth it. Here's what I came up with today, using a total of just $1 worth of food... 

Breakfast. Mornings have been crazy lately, so no time for anything elaborate. I had crock-potted my 4th batch of pinto beans overnight, so they were deliciously fresh. Threw on a scrambled egg with seasoned salt and pepper, and bam, very fresh and easy breakfast. ▼


Lunch. I'm really loving the fact that I've got two eggs every day remaining on the challenge. So I went for another version of Korean bibimbap, stir fried with ramen noodles, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. With the right seasonings, this made a great little meal. ▼


Dinner. I had not thought to mix my pasta sauce with the beans and rice. Worked really well, threw on two corn tortillas for another soft taco mexican dinner rendition. ▼


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

2 comments:

  1. Kirby, you inspired me tonight to rummage around in my kitchen to find something I could make for dinner without going to the grocery store...... Here's what I came up with:
    1 potato, 1 onion, 6 or 7 baby carrots, 1 Tbs of olive oil, a dash of salt and marjoram for seasoning. I sliced these and tossed in the oil to coat thoroughly and cooked for 5 minutes in the microwave. It made a good dinner! I wish you had an onion! Want me to bring you one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks Melanie! Sounds delicious! Can't accept your gift (against my rules) but I'm grateful for your thoughtful offer! Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete