Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 14: Hope for Kampala

I'm kind of at a loss for words tonight, very tired and growing a bit irritable from the hunger, to be honest. But my heart turns toward vivid memories of this slum settlement in Kampala, Uganda, where our newest "Children's Hope Center" project is currently in development. As I recollect their struggles I witnessed first hand, my complaints are silenced immediately. Kampala is the capital city of Uganda, and is one of the poorest and largest cities in central Africa.


The colony is at the bottom of a hill, so all of the sewage pools here, trash is everywhere and the stench is nearly unbearable. After spending four hours there, I felt very ill just from breathing the fumes.

There is a sense of defeat here, an indifference toward the trash and sewage, simply because there's no way to fight it. You could make a massive clean up effort but then upon the next rain, all of the trash and sewage from uphill would simply flood into the colony and put them right back where they started. The children play barefoot in sewage-contaminated waters, and as a result of course almost all diseases that plague the colony are water-borne.


We've started with a very basic facility offering elementary classes to help uneducated children get ready for school. Here's a scene from our classroom I shot on my last visit this year in Kampala. We hope to make many improvements in the months ahead! But we must start somewhere.


These children greeted me with bright smiles and hugs as they gathered outside our facility site. Many of these kids are engaged in child labor. In Uganda, over 40% of children are victims of child labor, most often in very hazardous conditions where safety precautions are never considered.


Your help with my goal for this challenge will help us bring more kids into the program, to offer hope and a way out of this desperate life they live, through education, proper nutrition and hygiene. If you're not familiar with the work of Peace Gospel International, you should know that all of our programs' budgets are supplemented by profits from our various native-led business and farmland enterprise operations, which also provide nutritious ingredients for program participants. Learn more about our work in Uganda here

Please follow this link to donate whatever you can afford toward my goal of 20 scholarships for children of the slums. Your gift will help us rescue more of these kids from child labor, to give them a fighting chance against what often follows next in the developing world—child prostitution and trafficking. 

We're currently just $110 away from our 4th scholarship being funded!

Here's what I was able to throw together on a very busy day... not the greatest day in terms of creativity, but it did the job...

Breakfast. A simple bean and egg breakfast taco along with my standard 1/3 cup oatmeal with a few raisins and three slices from my frozen banana ration. ▼


Lunch. Was in a hurry, so I just did a quick re-fried bean & brown rice combo and baked a corn tortilla to make chips. Light but delicious, and easy to make! ▼


Dinner. Wasn't in the mood for anything creative tonight, so I just threw together this ramen stew. 1/3 brick ramen, 1/3 cup of pasta noodles, 2/3 cup of brown rice, a small ration of carrots and potatoes, and one leaf of cabbage. With the right seasonings, not too bad. ▼


Thanks for your continued support. Traffic to the blog continues to grow. Now if we could just catch up a little on our pace for donations toward the goal, that would be great!

Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment