Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 21: Extreme poverty

I'm dedicating day 21 to this little boy I met in the Thapathali slum settlement of Kathmandu, Nepal. I've made a few visits to this colony where we're in the process of launching a new "Children's Hope Center" to reach the 200+ kids who live here. My meals look gourmet compared to what they eat. Here he stands in front of his makeshift home that has no electricity, no latrine and certainly no running water. It's a crude form of a shelter, hardly enough to protect him from the Himalayan winter's cold spells and the rains of the monsoons.


Many will ask, so what's the difference between this and the problems of the homeless of my (Western) country? My answer is generally that we're dealing with a different kind of poverty in the developing world. We call it "extreme poverty" because of the extreme risks such a population is exposed to, especially among the children and women of such populations, and even more so among orphans, widows and single mothers.

A shocking statistic that puts things into quick perspective is that every day 33 Nepalese children, mostly girls, become human trafficking victims. Often times relatives are lured with an attractive "advance" and tricked into thinking the child will be working in a domestic servant or nanny role, or some similar alleged respectable job. But in reality they are taken across the Indian border, mostly to brothels, where they're forced to become prostitutes, and some to hazardous labor situations where they are never to be heard from again.

In almost all cases, the children targeted are from among the poorest, such as these of the slums, where parents or relatives of orphans are most susceptible to believe in the schemes of the traffickers. This is a young girl I met in the same colony—she was showing me a small meal she had prepared for herself while her parents were away looking for day labor jobs. She's on our list of children we'd like to serve through the Children's Hope Center we're the process of launching in her community.


To learn more about the realities of human trafficking, child labor and the orphan crisis, please read this report I've put together for Peace Gospel International.

However, to build on last night's post, I want to add that the solution is not simply more funding. It's more funding for sustainable, empowering solutions to extreme poverty. That's why we've equipped our native team in Nepal with a farmland, where they raise goats and grow organic crops to help keep our program's pantries well-stocked with nutritious foods, and to provide additional funding from sales of excess yields.

And here's a result. Orphan girls once trapped in child labor, at extreme risk of being trafficked, now happy, safe and receiving proper nutrition and education at our orphanage home in Kathmandu. They have great hope and their future is looking very bright.


Great news! Today we received $525 in donations toward our scholarship fund for children of the slums, bringing our total up to 15 scholarships funded, just from readers of this blog! Thank you! And we're just $480 away from our 16th! Please follow this link to learn more about the program and give anything you can afford to chip in—it all makes a difference!

Here's a look at what I was able to prepare today using a total of just $1 worth of food...

Breakfast. I've been experimenting with a new style of re-fried beans by mashing in brown rice with the beans before simmering in water and a tablespoon of canola oil. Works well in the breakfast taco. In the same oil I first lightly fried the potato strips and carrot slices you can see in the photo. Anything for variety's sake. A very delicious and satisfying breakfast, all things considered! My guess is that this cost under 30 cents.


Lunch. I wasn't feeling very creative and didn't have much time on my hands. I needed something simple to throw together. I realized I've been going really light on my raisin rations and have what looks like plenty for the remaining days of the challenge. So I added some extra raisins in with my oatmeal ration, along with four slices of frozen banana, added a dash of cinnamon, and this was really fine for what I needed until dinner. ▼


Dinner. I've really been enjoying the "filling feeling" of these potato/tortilla/bean soup varieties I've been coming up with, so I decided to try yet another version tonight. I finely shredded 1/3 of a carrot and let that boil with the potatoes, 1/4 cup of pasta noodles, 1 cup of cooked beans, and half of a ramen noodle brick. Also added two chopped corn tortillas and a variety of seasonings (cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, ramen spices) to create a very hearty soup. Best part is these are so easy to make! Total prep time was about 10 minutes! ▼


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment