Sunday, July 28, 2013

Here we go again! Shopping day!

I've decided to do another 30 day challenge for two main reasons: 1) out of frustration with my own lack of self-discipline in eating more than I need, and 2) out of a desire to do something more to bring awareness of the realities I'm faced with when visiting the slums. This will be my fourth time to do this, third time to blog about it. 

If you've never seen my other challenge blogs, first of all, thanks for stopping by. Secondly, allow me to introduce you to the basics of the challenge. Disclaimer: I do allow myself coffee or else I'd go crazy. But I do not allow any free food to be given to me, nor do I go looking for it. Otherwise it would be too easy, especially in America. It's basically like, here's 30 bucks, make it stretch so that you can eat 90 decent meals. I think you'll be surprised and what can be done with so little.

Today was shopping day. You can check out my shopping list here. I was bummed that raisins have gone up since last year, and because I got an amazing deal on sale-priced potatoes last year, my cost on potatoes effectively doubled. However, I was blessed to discover that pinto beans were on a crazy sale at Fiesta (our local discount grocery market), helping to make up for these losses.

Through some other adjustments, I managed to get a good list in place, and added the benefit of a fresh banana allowance to be spent a few points along the way. I'm looking forward to having some fresh fruit. It will especially be nice to add to oatmeal, I think!

Another small disclaimer: I already have a stock of pinto beans from the same store, so rather than buy more than I need, I'm just applying today's price to the beans I already have, buying and rationing from my existing stock.

Some images from shopping day:





In tomorrow's post I'll share with you more about the goal of the challenge in terms of some urgent fundraising I need your help with, and more about just who exactly I'm trying to raise awareness for. Thanks for reading! Stay tuned! In the mean time...

Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

1 comment:

  1. I think it will be a rewarding experience!! Maybe start today with a soup of beans?
    Bom apetite!! :D

    ReplyDelete