Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 2: Compelled

This is not really a "fun" challenge. Like you don't just wake up one day and say, oh cool, it sure would be fun to try to live on just $30 of food for a month. You have to be compelled by some higher motivation. For me, it's these kids. This is the reason I'm doing this. I am compelled to bring awareness of their situation and try to make a difference in their lives. With your help, we can do it.

This is a kid I met on my visit to Manila, Philippines in April. He's a child labor victim in the Payatas Landfill Scavenger's Colony, Manila, Philippines. Large loads of trash are delivered to this sorting shed where he works alongside other children in extremely high temperatures, sifting through raw garbage looking for redeemable plastics and metals.



All he lacks is an opportunity. His parents cannot afford to send him to school--no way to get him the supplies and uniform he needs. We can change that. With a fund of just $500, we can enroll him or one like him in our education center called "The Children's Hope Center" and his life would be forever changed. Please consider giving whatever you can afford toward my goal of 20 scholarships. We have yet to reach our first step--let's just start with 1 scholarship. $500. Please give whatever you can toward this goal.

In the days ahead I'll be sharing more about the results on the other side of the equation--the kids who have been through our education programs, with lives changed. In the mean time I invite you to visit our Instagram gallery here

Update on yesterday's scare at our Philippines Girls Home: all are safe, interim security measures are in place, and the new security wall fund is now in place! Thanks to all who responded! 

On to what I was able to put together for Day 2. Overall, not bad at all.

Breakfast. Two breakfast tacos. One scrambled egg, boiled potato cubes and carrots, brown rice, raw chopped cabbage on corn tortillas. Seasoned by a few dashes of season-all. You really cannot beat breakfast tacos as an easy way to start your day with a hearty kick. All for just about $0.33! ▼


Lunch. My favorite. Egg & noodle fried rice. This is a very simple preparation with carrots and cabbage. The base ingredient is brown rice and pasta noodles. Scramble the egg first and add into the skillet while stir frying the other ingredients. Start with a splash of cooking oil and soy sauce, stir and flip away, and you're good to go. Crazy good meal for only a few cents. ▼


Dinner. Was definitely hungry by dinner time and needed to get something together quickly. So I just threw together my standard re-fried bean recipe with homemade corn tortilla chips as a side. For the main course, ramen noodle stew with brown rice and cabbage. Using a third of the ramen brick and a third of the ramen soup seasoning pack, it was light but just enough, and definitely full of flavor. ▼


Thanks for your support! I'm feeling pretty strong at the end of Day 2, transitioning fairly well.

Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward scholarships for children of the slums. Our goal is to cover a scholarship for 20 kids to get an education this next year. Every little bit helps! Currently at $25 of my $10,000 goal!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment